From the Editors
The New York Times says Jadaliyya "Brings New Life to Arab Studies." Read about it by clicking here.
Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (September 18)
[This is a roundup of news articles and other materials circulating on the Arabian Peninsula and reflects a wide variety of opinions. It does not reflect the views of the Arabian Peninsula Page Editors or of Jadaliyya. You may send your own recommendations for inclusion in each week's roundup to email@example.com by Monday night of every week.]
Repression in Bahrain
To Ban or Not to Ban ... Al-Wifaq A blog entry on the Bahraini government's decision on the future of al-Wifaq, on Religion and Politics in Bahrain.
Crisis in Yemen
Yemen's Numan: Power Must Return to the Popular Will Jomana Farhat interviews Yasin Numan, the Secretary General of the Yemeni Socialist Party, who survived an assassination attempt a few days ago, on Al-Akhbar English.
Yemen Says Deployment of US Marines Is Temporary A news report on the Yemeni government's justification for the deployment of US marines, on Reuters.
Arrival of US Marines Stirs up Yemen Politics Jane Ferguson analyzes the repercussion of the deployment of US Marines in Yemen, on Al-Jazeera English.
Yemen Protesters Storm US Embassy - As It Happened Matthew Weaver, Brian Whitaker and Tom McCarthy reports on the protests against the anti-Muslim film in Yemen, in The Guardian.
Reports and Opinions
Suspect Held over Killing of Saudi Policeman A news report on the arrest of a man in Qatif suspected of shooting a policeman, on Gulfnews.
Kuwait- Women in Justice, Public Prosecution A news report on the reactions to the Supreme Judicial Council's decision to hire women in judicial posts.
The YouTube Salvation Mona Kareem analyzes reactions to a YouTube video showing an attack on young actors by an unknown man, on Al-Akhbar English.
Economy & Markets
Qatar in Egypt: Buying Foreign Policy Mohamed al-Khouli analyzes the political aspect of Qatar's plan to invest eighteen billion dollars in Egypt.
Saudi Shuts 100 Lingerie Shops for Hiring Men A news report on the Saudi authorities' decision to close lingerie shops that hire salesmen.
Solar Arabia Summit '12 Kicks off as Interest in Renewable Energy Swells A news report on the Saudi authorities' investment in renewable energy, in Saudi Gazette.
Saudi Arabia Not at Risk of Being Oil Importer, Analyst Says Wael Mahdi writes on the rebuttal of the recent report by Citigroup Inc. that Saudi Arabia will be an importer of oil by 2030.
Sky News Arabia is a Break from Stations with Slanted Coverage Saeed Saeed argues that this new channel "ushers a hitherto rare kind of owner into the Arabic media landscape: a commercial enterprise in territory that is largely, although not wholly, the domain of national governments and political parties," in The National.
Oman Sentenced Blogger in Widening Media Crackdown A news report on the one-year imprisonment of an Omani journalist and blogger, in The Washington Post.
Twitter Entry Brings Imprisonment and Fine Hasan Al Naser writes on the ruling against a young man from Qatif for defamation on Twitter, in Saudi Gazette.
تصريح من المنسق العام للتيار التقدمي الكويتي حول تعيين نساء وكيلات نيابة تمهيدا لدخولهن سلك القضاء
A statment by Dhari al-Rajeeb, head of the Kuwaiti Progressive Current, on the decision to employ women in some judicial posts.
لافتات في قلب الرياض ضد الاعتقال السياسي
A report on the spread of banners against political arrest in Riyadh.
الأزمة السياسية في البحرين والأفق المسدود
Youssef Maki examines the Bahraini political crisis and the absence of any exit.
السيد النمر يدعو الحكومات الإسلامية لاستدعاء سفراءها في واشنطن
A news report on Said Hasan Nimr's call upon the Muslim governments to recall their ambassadors to the United States in response to the anti-Muslim film.
العدالة يدعو السعودية لإطلاق الأطفال ضحايا حرية الرأي والتعبير
The Adala Center for Human Rights calls on the Saudi authorities to immediately release the children who have been arrested during protests in Qatif last year.
تحالف القبيلة والدين والنفط في السعودية
Ja'afar Mohamed al-Shayib analyzes the alliance between tribes, religion and oil in Saudi Arabia.
المجتمع السعودي... والصراعات الفكرية
Hasan bin Salem writes on the Saudi society and intellectual conflicts.
Recent Posts by Arabian Peninsula Page Editors
Syrian Population Regression
Population: ~ 22.5 Million
2011: 5,800+ (killed)
2012: 60,000+ (killed) and 500,000+ (external refugees)
2013: 100,000+ (killed), 2,000,000+ (external refugees), and 8 million+ displaced
Syria Map and Stats
GDP: $107.4 billion
Unemployment: 8.3%; Youth Employment (ages 15-24): 19.1%
Internet Users: 4.469 million
Exchange Rate: ~ 98.00 Syrian pounds per US dollar
GDP Growth Rate: 3.2%
Military Expenditures: 5.9% of GDP (World Rank: 10)
Health Expenditures: 2.9% of GDP (World Rank: 180)
Population Growth Rate: 0.913%
Age Structure: 0-14 years: 35.2%; 15-64 years: 61%; 65 years and over: 3.8%
Religious Demographics: Sunni Muslim 74%; other Muslim (includes Alawite, Druze) 16%; Christian (various denominations) 10%
Ethnic Demographics: Arab 90.3%, Kurds, Armenians, and other 9.7%
The creative power of fun enables camp youths to give new meaning to the notion of “Palestinianness”, and a new form to their allegiance to Palestinian nationalism, one more suited to their desire to live life in Jordan.click | email | tweet
Latest EntriesView All Entries »
- Goodbye, Antoura
- Creating Change through Theater: The Freedom Theater in Jenin: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation with Nabil Al Raee and Alia Al Rosan
- On Palestinian Cinema: The State of Israel vs. Suha Arraf
- Turkiyeli Ermeniler’den Cagri: Bak Kardesim
- Foreign Policies Media Roundup (March-April 2015)
- From Khaled Kaddal's Trapped Sounds
- كلام مجعلص في الفن: حوش المدرسة وسحابة البضان. حوار أنديل مع عادل اسكندر
- New Texts Out Now: Vijay Prashad, Letters to Palestine: Writers Respond to War and Occupation
- Arabian Peninsula Media Roundup (April 21)
- Too Much Memory? Remembering and Forgetting at the Crossroads of the Centenary of the Armenian Genocide
- Water Management in Jordan in Response to the Syrian Crisis: Between Neoliberal Pressures and Social Tensions
- Turkey Media Roundup (April 21)
- Syria Media Roundup (April 20)
- Last Week on Jadaliyya (April 13-19)
- Sharjah Biennial 12: Nikhil Chopra's Use like Water
- Answering the Call: Popular Islamic Activism in Sadat's Egypt: A STATUS/الوضع Conversation between Abdullah Al-Arian and Anthony Alessandrini
- Black Feminism Is: Reflections on the Black Feminist Think Tank Symposium
- National Association of Chicana and Chicano Studies Annual Conference Endorses Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Reflections on Public Spaces in Revolutionary and Post-Revolutionary Tunis
- من اجل مجتمع مدني فاعل في مصر: مقابلة للوضع بين لينا عطا الله وجاسر عبد الرازق